Kansai Electric’s reactor shuts down 3 days after restart

The alarm was triggered when the power firm was preparing to start generating and supplying electricity after the No. 4 reactor in Fukui Prefecture reached criticality, or a state of sustained nuclear chain reaction, on Saturday following its restart the previous day.

The reactor was deactivated after the automatic alarm system prompted 48 control rods to be inserted. There is no problem with the reactor’s cooling system and has been no environmental impact from the incident, the company said.

Police in Tama, Tokyo, are investigating the murder of a 25-year-old man who was stabbed to death in his condo on Saturday night. (Japan Today)

Kansai Electric Power Co. said Monday that a reactor at its Takahama nuclear plant shut down automatically after problems with a generator and a transformer triggered alarms, just three days after the reactor was rebooted. (Kyodo)

Three former executives of Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) were indicted Monday for allegedly failing to take measures to prevent the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex, which was struck by massive tsunami waves five years ago. (Japan Today)

Akita Prefectural Police have arrested a 64-year-old woman for the murder of her female acquaintance in Katagami City eight years ago, reports the Yomiuri Shimbun (Feb. 29). (Tokyo Reporter)

Emperor Akihito, 82, has been diagnosed with influenza after suffering a fever over the weekend, the Imperial Household Agency said in Tokyo on Monday, without giving further details. (Asahi)

New security methods, including a facial recognition system and drones, were employed in this year’s Tokyo Marathon on Sunday. (Jiji Press)

Police in Tokyo’s Taito Ward said Sunday that a 41-year-old woman was found strangled to death at her apartment on Saturday night. (Japan Today)

The ruling Liberal Democratic Party has decided not to field a candidate in a House of Representatives by-election to fill a seat vacated by a party Diet member who resigned over infidelity, an LDP source said. (Japan Today)

Feyisa Lilesa of Ethiopia won the Tokyo Marathon on Sunday, pulling ahead of Kenya’s Dickson Chumba inside the final two kilometers to claim his first major marathon win. (Japan Today)

A 19-year-old woman died after being stabbed on a street in Fukuoka on Saturday night, police said Sunday. Police identified the victim as Hikaru Kitagawa, a prep school student, Fuji TV reported. She was stabbed in the neck and face, police said. (Japan Today)

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *