Ex-TEPCO execs plead not guilty as trial starts over Fukushima nuclear crisis


Appearing before the Tokyo District Court for the first criminal trial over the disaster, Tsunehisa Katsumata, 77, then chairman of TEPCO, started with an apology but added, “It was impossible to predict the accident.”
Two former vice presidents also pleaded not guilty in line with the expected argument from the former officials’ defense — that there was no way to foresee the massive tsunami waves, triggered by a magnitude-9.0 earthquake, which engulfed the seaside plant and crippled key reactor cooling functions.
It took Fukushima residents and their supporters more than five years to bring the three former key officials before a criminal court, as prosecutors had thrice decided not to charge them.
After a decision by prosecutors was overturned by an inquest of prosecution made up of ordinary citizens for the second time, Katsumata and the two other defendants — Ichiro Takekuro, 71, and Sakae Muto, 67 — were finally indicted last year.
They are facing charges of professional negligence resulting in the injury of people at the site as well as in the deaths of dozens of patients forced to evacuate from a hospital near the plant.
The case, overseen by a panel of three judges with a group of specially appointed lawyers acting as prosecutors, is not expected to see a ruling at least until next year.
At the trial, the specially appointed lawyers argued that the three former officials had been able to predict that the plant, located on grounds 10 meters above sea level, could be swamped by tsunami waves as big as those that hit the site on March 11, 2011 following the earthquake.

Three former executives of Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), the company that operates the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, pleaded not guilty Friday as they stood trial for their alleged failure to prevent the nuclear meltdown disaster triggered by the 2011 tsunami. (Japan Today)

Police in Tokyo said Thursday they have arrested an unemployed 20-year-old man on a charge of forcible obstruction of business after he posted a message on the 2channel online bullet board, in which he said a bomb was set to go off at Shibuya Station in Tokyo. (Japan Today)

A twin-propeller plane made a belly landing Thursday at Nagasaki airport due to mechanical trouble, causing a brief runway closure and the cancellation of over a dozen flights, the airport operator and the transport ministry said. (Japan Times)

Japan’s space agency has proposed to a government panel a plan to send Japanese astronauts to the moon after 2025. (NHK)

The frequent tests and growing sophistication of North Korean missiles is prompting the Japanese government and the general public to think carefully about civil defence. What if Pyongyang actually did fire missiles at a major Japanese city? (aljazeera.com)

A Japanese budget airline apologised Wednesday for forcing a wheelchair-bound man to crawl up a set of stairs to board his flight. (scmp.com)

Farmers in Kagawa Prefecture, western Japan, have started shipping square watermelons across the country. (NHK)

A 42-year-old woman of Sakai, Osaka Prefecture, was arrested Tuesday for allegedly setting a man on fire, causing him to sustain burns over his entire body, police said. (Japan Times)

A committee of Japan Broadcasting Corp., or NHK, came up with a proposal on Tuesday calling for charging fees on households without television sets for watching TV programs distributed through the Internet simultaneously. (Jiji)

The poverty rate among Japanese children slightly improved in 2015 thanks in part to the country’s better job market but one in every seven children remains poor, a survey by the welfare ministry showed Tuesday. (Japan Today)


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *