A final ruling on the fate of a terminally-ill baby boy, whose parents want to take him abroad for treatment, has been delayed until Monday.
Treatment for Charlie Gard must continue until midnight on Monday, judges at the European Court of Human Rights said.
The 10-month old has a rare genetic condition and brain damage, and doctors want to stop his life support.
His parents launched the challenge after losing a UK Supreme Court appeal.
Before the ruling, Charlie’s parents issued a photo of themselves on the rooftop of London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital.
‘Die with dignity’
The court in Strasbourg has told doctors to continue providing life support to allow more time for his parents’ lawyers to put forward the case.
Charlie has been in intensive care since October last year. He has mitochondrial depletion syndrome, a rare disorder that affects the genetic building blocks that give energy to cells.
His doctors said Charlie cannot see, hear, move, cry or swallow.
Specialists added that therapy proposed by a doctor in the US is experimental and will not help.
A High Court judge in April ruled against a trip to America and in favour of Great Ormond Street doctors.
Mr Justice Francis concluded that life support treatment should end and said Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity.
Three Court of Appeal judges upheld that ruling in May and three Supreme Court justices on Thursday dismissed a further challenge by the couple.
On Monday, parents Chris Gard and Connie Yates, from Bedfont, west London, shared a photo of Charlie with his eyes open.
Connie Yates posted the image on Facebook with the message “a picture speaks a thousand words”.